Eight killed in renewed violence
Story by NATION Team
Publication Date: 3/12/2008
Eight people were killed Tuesday in a new wave of ethnic violence
in Laikipia West and Narok South districts.
This happened even as hundreds of residents fled their homes in
Mount Elgon to escape a joint police and military operation
targeting militia groups in the area.
In Laikipia West, a 46-year-old woman and her three children were
killed at Aiyam village as the clashes entered their seventh day.
District commissioner Julius Mutula said that the raiders shot
their victims at close range before fleeing. Security personnel
were tracking them down, he said.
The incident brings to 15 the number of people killed in clashes
in Aiyam. The four bodies were taken to Nyahururu District
Accused of laxity
At the same time, a member of Parliament has accused security
agents of laxity in dealing with insecurity in the district.
Laikipia West MP Ndiritu Muriithi said his persistent calls on the
need to strengthen security in the area had fallen on deaf ears.
Speaking at Nation Centre Tuesday, Mr Muriithi said what started
as an incident of cattle theft was slowly turning into an ethnic
In Narok South, four people were killed, several others injured
and 125 houses torched after a fierce clash pitting members of two
communities at Munyas.
Fighting started when a group of herders from Bomet District drove
their livestock to Munyas, which is in Ololung’a Division of Narok
Narok South DC Wilfred Nyagwanga visited the area and banned the
carrying of weapons. The DC also said that no herdsmen from Bomet
would be allowed to graze their livestock in farms belonging Narok
South residents without the consent of the land owners.
He announced that a police station would be built at Munyas.
In Molo, residents of the clashes-torn district have been urged to
surrender their arms and give dialogue a chance.
Local MP Joseph Kiuna made the remarks while addressing various
peace meetings along the volatile Mau Narok-Njoro route. Renewed
clashes have since claimed four lives in the area.
Speaking at Mauche trading centre where two people were slashed to
death on Monday, Mr Kiuna called on village elders to spearhead
the peace campaign to enable the residents to return to their
In Mount Elgon, the joint police and military blitz has so far
netted more than 30 suspects.
There were no reports of casualties although people have reported
helicopters hovering in the area with blasts being heard from time
to time. Most people hid in the forests and mountain caves, which
are said to be the havens of the militia.
More than 18 schools were either partially affected or shut as
pupils and teachers fled for safety.
The air-to-ground operation, which is backed by five military
helicopters and armoured vehicles, was launched at dawn on Monday.
It is aimed at flushing out militiamen who have visited terror on
residents of Mount Elgon and neighbouring Bungoma and Trans Nzoia
The militias, who have their bases in the thick forests and caves
of Kenya’s second highest mountain, include the Sabaot Land
Defence Force, Moorland Forces and the Political Revenge Movement.
Western provincial commissioner Abdul Mwasera said the military
was merely strengthening the operation that is set to continue
until the militias are routed out.