America Gives Sh1.7 Billion as
The East African Standard (Nairobi)
2 March 2008
Karanja Njoroge, Peter Opiyo, Morton Saulo, Joel Okwayo, Jessica
Nyaboke, Susan Anyangu, and Jane Akinyi
Reconstruction of structures destroyed during the post-election
violence has started after Thursday's signing of power-sharing
deal between President Kibaki and Mr Raila Odinga.
The American Government will provide Sh1.75b ($25million) to help
the reconstruction process. In Kibera, the rebuilding of Toi
Market has started. Traders who had fled the area are returning.
The US ambassador to Kenya, Mr Michael Ranneberger announced the
pledge on behalf of his government. Ranneberger said the money
would be used to support the implementation of the political
agreement and resettlement of the displaced.
He said the US will also continue to provide funds for
humanitarian assistance. The money is being channelled to the
Kenya Red Cross Society and various UN agencies to provide food,
tents, clean drinking water and health services.
The ambassador promised increased funding and more cooperation
between his country and Kenya following the signing of the
political deal. Ranneberger was speaking in Nakuru when he toured
and met various micro financing groups to find out how they are
coping with effects of the post-election violence.
He commended Kenyans for putting pressure on the two leaders to
reach an agreement. Ranneberger, however, said the implementation
of the agreement and the reform agenda will be a complex and
He described the agreement as an important first step to help
sustain Kenya on its democratic path. He challenged the people of
Rift Valley Province, which bore the brunt of the violence, to set
an example through peace, dialogue and reconciliation.
Earlier the ambassador had a paid courtesy call on Rift Valley
Deputy Provincial Commissioner Mr Joseph Kimiywi. In Kibera, Jamii
Bora Trust, a community based organisation, donated materials for
the rebuilding of Toi Market.
However, the traders face an uphill task of replenishing their
stock, as their wares went up in smoke. At Mathare camp, the
displaced welcomed the power-sharing deal but asked the Government
for help them to rebuild their homes.
Ms Mary Kahumba, a victim, said though they would wish to go back
to their former homes, they had no houses to return to. Area chief
Mr James Weru told The Sunday Standard that since agreement was
signed, no violence had been reported.
He said there had been tension before the pact.
Safety of returnees
Elsewhere, KRCS has urged the Government to ensure returnees are
safe. The society's Public Relations Manager, Mr Anthony Mwangi,
said: "The signing of the deal is still a fresh development.
However, it is expected that some of the displaced persons will
want to return to their homes. It is important that their security
is guaranteed before they leave the camps."
In Kisumu, 15 displaced children are still stranded.
They are among more than 200 unaccompanied children who sought
refuge at various internally displaced persons camps in the town
during the political crisis.
Nyanza Provincial Children's Officer, Mr Charles Ondogo, said the
children are at the orphanage because they have not traced their
And in Eldoret, ACK Bishop Thomas Kogo wants all displaced people
resettled before the grand coalition is officially formed.
He also called for security for the displaced people who wished to
go back to their homes.
Kogo said there will be food shortage if the IDPs do not go back
to their farms before the end of the planting season.